Death Notices, Articles Concerning Deaths, and Obituaries from the Elgin Courier, 1827-1834
New, from Moray & Nairn FHS, Death Notices, Articles Concerning Deaths, and Obituaries from the Elgin Courier, 1827-1834, published in two parts – including an account of the murder of William Ritchie, the hunt for the perpetrator, the capture and trial of William Noble, his confession and execution – the last public execution held in Elgin.
Also available locally at Yeadons of Elgin and The Nairn Bookshop.
Perth Military Settlement
Throughout 2016, the four eastern Ontario Municipalities of Beckwith, Drummond/North Elmsley,
Perth and Tay Valley will be celebrating the 200th Anniversary of Canada’s Perth Military
Settlement. They want to welcome visitors interested in participating in this historic
year. Click here for more information.
Poor Register for the Parish of Elgin 1845-1891
Poor Register for the Parish of Elgin from 1845-1891 (published in 3 parts 1845-1871, 1871-1881 & 1881-1891) is
a transcription of the Register for each pauper who was accepted to be given Poor Relief under The Poor Law Act
of 1845 which ended the relief of the Poor by charity. They note in detail the change in circumstances of the
person named and sometimes their family’s circumstances, including any increase or decrease of relief given,
occasionally entry into the poorhouse and often their date of death. Over 970 individuals are listed in the
Register of paupers. They give a unique glimpse of the social attitudes to the poor in Victorian Elgin, though
it was not always paupers who got relief, sometimes it was those who were sick or out of work.
Monumental Inscriptions from Barevan Churchyard is a transcription of the gravestones. They note in detail
the complete inscription from each stone. Over 110 gravestones were recorded by members of the Moray &
Nairn Family History Society between 2014 and 2015 with a plan being made of each stone’s location and
an index of surnames.
The Burial Register from Cawdor Churchyard supplements the survey of the
gravestones at Cawdor already undertaken and published by the Society in 2014.
Nairn Poorhouse - Records relating to Nairn Poorhouse, Nairn 1862-1914
Nairn Poorhouse was opened in 1862 as a result of the Poor Law Act of 1845, where paupers could gain
accommodation when they were homeless or infirm.
The publication is a transcription of the
surviving records from the parishes of Abernethy, Ardclach, Ardersier, Auldearn, Cawdor, Cromdale, Croy,
Duthil, Dyke & Moy, Edinkillie and Petty Parishes who by service agreements boarded or had paupers resident
in Nairn Poorhouse.
Also included is a Register of Burials at Nairn Cemetery 1864-1957, Nairn
Old Churchyard and Auldearn Churchyard where the address was given as Nairn Poorhouse or its later name Balblair.
St. Ninian Press & Nairnshire Advertiser & Nairn County Press and Advertiser Deaths & Obituaries 1892-1899
The St. Ninian Press and Nairnshire Advertiser newspaper was published by John Fraser of
102 High Street, Nairn, and was issued weekly on a Saturday. First issue was on the 5th
July 1892 and ceased as the St. Ninian Press on the 17th July 1897 being renamed The
Nairn County Press and Advertiser from the 24th July 1897. The paper ceased trading
completely at the end of July 1917.
From these early issues we have extracted the notices of death and obituaries, and
sometimes there are details of a funeral, tragic accidents and other local incidents
are also reported upon where a death occurred. They provide a glimpse of the Victorian
attitude to death and how it was related to in this local paper.
Poor Register for the Parish of Alves 1845-1930 and Alves War Memorial
Poor Register for the Parish of Alves 1845-1930 and Alves War Memorial, compiled by Stuart Farrell, is now available, click here for details.
Nairn Congregational Church Baptisms, Marriages & Members 1847-1891
Nairn Congregational Church Baptisms, Marriages & Members 1847-1891, compiled by Stuart Farrell, is now available, click here for details.
Monumental Inscriptions, Parish of Auldearn
Monumental Inscriptions, Parish of Auldearn, compiled by members of Moray & Nairn FHS, is now available, click here for details.
The Parishes of Nairnshire, Deaths & Places of Burial, 1855-1860, Auldearn & Nairn
Available now, is the latest publication in the series of Deaths & Places of Burial, 1855-1860 for the parishes of Auldearn & Nairn, Nairnshire.
Nairn Family History Fair
Nairn Community Centre was the venue for the ‘Nairn Family History Fair’, which was hosted jointly by Scottish Genealogical Research and Moray & Nairn FHS.
Attendance at the fair exceeded 180. There were many stand-holders and talks from experienced genealogists.
A panel of experts was also on hand to answer queries.
Family history societies present included Aberdeen & NE Scotland; Highland; Moray & Nairn; Lanarkshire & West Lothian.
The Scottish Association of Family History Societies also took a stand - other SAFHS members present included
Guild Of One-Name Studies & Moray Burial Ground Research Group.
In addition, there were stand-holders from Buckie Fishing Heritage; Highland Council Archives; J & B Bishop Publishing; Janet M Bishop, Genealogist; The Queens Own Highlanders Regimental Museum; Fort George David Hirst Postcards; The Clan Donald Society of the Highlands and Islands; Cawdor Heritage Group & Moray Heritage Connections
Special thanks go to the guest speakers at the event: Jean Shirer, Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS; Charles Burnett, Ross Herald;
Bruce Durie, University of Strathclyde; and, Ken Nisbet, Scottish Genelaogical Society and Moray & Nairn FHS.
All gave very interesting and informative talks on their chosen subjects.
That they gave of their time and knowledge was very much appreciated.
Thanks are also given to the staff of Nairn Community Centre for their very professional organisation and attentive help on the day.
Moray & Nairn FHS is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
Moray & Nairn Family History Society